Saturday, April 5, 2014

week 5 solving conflicts

I had a conflict with a coworker and it began with a misunderstanding of information received. I was not told about an important piece of needed information to complete an assignment. I inquired about this before I should have. I was not calm at the time of the conversation. My coworker became defensive and it lead to exchange of words. We immediately saw where this was going and decided to try and cool off, before more words were said. We later expressed apologies to each other after we both thought about the situation and understood what really happened.

I learned that one's must always approach others in a non-threating manner and give others an equal chance to explain their situation. Think about the consequences of your actions before you make comments to others, it can destroy a friendship and a good working relationship.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Dotsy! I am happy that you and your co-worker resolved the issue and apologized to one another. I understand how easily it is to loos our cool and before you know it we are saying words that we can never take back. My mother always taught me to "think about what I say before I say it" and it really does help me with not having to regret words that I have released. As educators we must remember that we have to be professional and the positive role model with our interactions at work and in many other settings. I too have had some close calls with co-workers and have self-selected to not have many conversations or unrelated work interactions with them. I understand that it can be challenging when you have to communicate with co-workers who are not that easy to communicate with. Thanks for sharing!

    Cotati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dotsy
    Great post this happen all the time. When we feel press for time especially when something is do and we are not inform we seem lost our cool. It have happen to me. I took a step back and took a walk and came and apologized to everyone but as a educator we try so hard to be on time and it is a tough thing to do when others seem to hold you back.
    Darrell Sallam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dotsy,
    I think we have all experienced this similar situation. Rather with a co-worker or someone close to us, we sometimes don't think things out before speaking. I'm really learning to listen more in order not to jump to any conclusion on any matter. There are those times when we might feel under pressure and the mind don't work how we would prefer and that's when we need to do just as you and your co-worker, take time and cool off. Thanks for sharing that personal experience with us.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed reading your post and yes I agree with you to be careful when making comments to others. I feel that we all are different and sometimes words can really hurt more than actions. Communication is very important great post!

    ReplyDelete