Thursday, April 10, 2014

week 6 blog

I once worked in the public school as drug intervention worker. This was a grant program. The grant ended and the other five co-workers and myself had a program ending assessment. We meet with families and some of the children that were apart of our program and discussed the progress everyone had made. Some of the families that attended the reception expressed their love for the program and the benefits their families received.


This was a great group experience and all workers worked as a team. The program was working with children of families that were low-income and at risk for drug abuse and addiction. I have begun to understand how important it is to keep the lines of communication opened. I have learned that each individual should have a say when it comes to advocating and planning for all individuals involved. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Dotsy! What a wonderful experience to be able to work within a program that offers support services to children and families who suffer at the hands of substances. My husband is a substance abuse counselor and on many occasions I am able to see him give back to our community through the use of his food ministry and counseling services. Many years ago my husband was a victim of substance abuse. he's ben clean and sober for over 25 years. My husband remains in close contact with the very same people who assisted him in his recovery. Having those close connections with those whom you've shared real life changing experiences with is very rewarding. Thanks for sharing!

    Cotati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dotsy,
    Great post! you are right it is important to keep a lines of communication opened. The trust fact is the key. When you work with children and their families we find a new meaning for trust and respect
    Darrell Sallam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post and this must of been a great experience for all of you. One year we had a conference and my supervisor was assigned to present a training and she asked me to help her. We meet so many people in the training and we still keep in touch. Once in awhile we have lunch together. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dotsy,
    Absolutely loved reading your post. That program sounds amazing and I only wish that it was still going on because there are still families that need that support. Kudos for being apart of an life changing program. I enjoy reading and hearing stories about people helping one another. Sometimes I feel like people forget about one another especially children. Keeping lines of communication open is so essential and I do hope that you ladies have kept in touch. Again Kudos and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I think it is wonderful that you had such a positive successful experience working with a group in this situation. I have come to realizing through reflection on the subject of group work that some groups turn out to be very successful, while others can be much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete