Thursday, June 20, 2013

Welcoming Families From Around The World

The name of my family's country of origin is South Africa.

I will prepare myself culturally by:

1. learning more about how my family operate, feel, and the way in which they live.
2. Let them realize they are individuals and human beings.
3. Communicate with cultural sensitivity.
4. Be aware of the specific needs and try to respond appropriately.
5. Allow them to plan and relate to their culture and background as as well as my own.

           I believe that all of the diversity, I have learned in this course has made me understand the importance of relating to other cultures. I will  be able to utilize the knowledge and understanding to assist my family with enrichment of my country and culture. They will also be able to enrich my knowledge of their country and culture.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you stated that both your culture and the new culture will provide a learning basis. i also like that you posted that you see that yes you are getting a new student that has an unfamilar background, but it is a learning experience to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this course has prepared us in ways that has fostered our understanding of the importance of embracing diversity and how to authentically relate to other cultures. Learning how the family operate and live is of upmost importance in getting to know them to be able to adequately address their needs and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your attention to this. I need to be more aware of my own bias and road maps in this area. Not everyone has a mom or a dad or a family or a house or a dog or a grandma or food.
    Not everyone is white. Not everyone is English speaking..thank you for bringing this to my attention. I can learn from this.

    ReplyDelete