Friday, June 14, 2013


The personal side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression.

 

I can remember an incident when a friend of mine was looking for housing. The individual that had the rental property stated to my friend that the house was available for rent. This was all communicated through a telephone conversation. My friend went to see the rental property and after seeing my friend was African American, she was told the property was no longer for rent. My friend later telephoned back and spoke by phone again and was told the property was available for rent. The landlord was unaware that this was the same individual that had gone to see the house. 
 This made us very aware that this property was not available to be rented to an African American. This was not an example of how equality should be.
  This is an incident to let society know that racism is still alive some of society has not adjusted to the diverse changes that should have occurred centuries ago.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I agree with you that our society has issues of racism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully your friend was able to find a place where she feels comfortable. There are so many stories out there just like this one, yet it is amazing how many people believe racism doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this shows how people can be racist people were in need of a house and then told it was not available I know your friend was amaze of hearing this and hurt. People do not realize how what he or she does or say can hurt a person. I hope that your friend did find a house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its hard to believe that racism still exist. What I really think exist and will never die is hate. I think that people mostly hate themselves. When you hate yourself, you will automatically hate others. I am to preoccupied with my own life to worry about small things like the color of someones skin or who they want to marry. I'm more worried about school, my children, and if the people I come in contact have my children and my best interest.

    ReplyDelete